St Bartholomew's Hospital, BristolEdit profile
St Bartholomew's Hospital (grid reference ST586731) is at the bottom of Christmas Steps, in Lewin's Mead, Bristol, England.
This 12th century town house was incorporated into a monastery hospital founded in 1240 by Sir John la Warr, 2nd Baron De La Warr (c. 1277–1347), and became Bristol Grammar School from 1532 to 1767, and then Queen Elizabeth's Hospital 1767-1847. Three 17th century town houses were then incorporated into model workers' flats of 1865, and converted to offices in 1978. The round piers predate the hospital, and may come from an aisled hall, the earliest remains of domestic architecture in the city, which was then adapted to form the hospital chapel. It has been designated by English Heritage as a grade II* listed building.