St Barnabas' Church, BromboroughEdit profile
St Barnabas' Church, Bromborough is in the town of Bromborough, Wirral, Merseyside, England. The church has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building, and stands within the boundary of the Bromborough Village Conservation Area. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Wirral South.
The architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner describes it the "large church of the village-gone-prosperous". It is considered to be a well-designed example of the work of Sir George Gilbert Scott. In the churchyard are three Anglo-Saxon carved stones which have been reconstructed to form a cross.History
The first church on the site was built in 928 adjacent to a monastery which had been founded in 912, probably by Ethelfleda. This church was demolished in 1828 and replaced on the same site by another church. This church was again replaced by the present church. It was built on a big scale between 1862 and 1864 to serve the residents of new large houses which had recently been built in the town. The architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott.Architecture
The church is built from local red Triassic sandstone with a slate roof. Its plan consists of a nave with clerestory, north and south aisles under lean-to roofs, a chancel with a semicircular apse, a south vestry and a northeast tower with a broach spire. It is built in the Early English style.Interior
The sanctuary contains trefoil blind arcading. The reredos is a sculpted relief depicting The Last Supper. The font and pulpit are octagonal. The wooden screens and stalls are dated 1900. Most of the stained glass is by Clayton and Bell. The east window is by Ballantyne and Son. The three-manual organ was built around 1923 by Rushworth and Dreaper of Liverpool. The ring consists of eight bells which are all dated 1880 by John Taylor and Company.External features
In the churchyard are three stone fragments dating possibly from the 10th century which have been re-erected in the form of a Celtic cross. The re-erection was carried out in 1958 by the Bromborough Society. It is listed Grade II. Also in the churchyard and listed Grade II is a stone sundial dated 1730 which is possibly constructed from a 15th century cross. It consists of two square steps on a base, a tapered shaft and a square cap.