St. Anthony of PaduaEdit profile
St. Anthony of Padua is a Roman Catholic church in Ottawa, Canada. Founded in 1908 it has long been the focal point of Ottawa's Italian-Canadian community. The church is located at 427 Booth Street in the heart of Little Italy. The first church was a small chapel, but burnt down in 1913 and another church, designed by Guido Nincheri, was erected to replace it. This structure was completed in 1925, however it was severely damaged by a fire just four years later. It was again rebuilt, this time with very little wood.
The church has long been the social centre of the Italian-Canadian community in Ottawa. Across the street is St. Anthony's School, a Catholic elementary school. The church is also the base for the St. Anthony Italia Soccer Club, one of Ottawa's most competitive amateur soccer teams. In front of the church is Piazza Dante where major social events are held. The largest of which is the Feast of St. Anthony every June that attracts several thousand people.