St Ann's, StretfordEdit profile
St Ann's, Church, Stretford is a Grade II listed Roman Catholic church in Stretford, Greater Manchester, England, and is located on East side of Chester Road A56. The church was constructed between 1862 and 1863. The parish functions under the jurisdiction of the Roman Catholic Diocese of SalfordOrigins
The St Ann's Mission was founded in 1859 in a small chapel on Herbert Street, Stretford. It initially served as a chapel-of-ease to All Saints, Barton until 1862 after which it became chapel-of-ease to St Francis, Gorton and was served by the Franciscan Fathers.The Church
The church was designed by E. W. Pugin in the Gothic Revival style for Sir Humphrey de Trafford who commissioned the church as wedding anniversary present for his wife Lady Annette. The contractor was Mr Glaistor of Liverpool, Hardman & Co. of Birmingham made the windows and brasswork and Mr Richard Lockwood Boulton of Worcester was stonemason. The church was opened on the 22nd November 1863 by Bishop William Turner.
The Presbytery and Sacristy was completed in 1865 and the church was consecrated by Bishop William Turner on the 18th June 1867. The following year the church organ was installed by FW Jardine of Manchester.Later Alterations
During 1893 and 1894 the church was refurbished and redecorated. JA Pippet of Hardman & Co. of Birmingham painted a series of murals throughout the church depicting the various stages of the life of St Ann.
In the 1930's, the church was modernised with new oak fittings including; a pulpit, altar rails, font and panelling on the sanctuary. World War Two interrupted the works and St Ann's was damaged by incendiary bombs during the blitz.
In the 1960's the church was extensively modernised in preparation for the centenary. Then following the Vatican II Council, work began in the 1970's to modernise the sanctuary for the new liturgy; the high altar, pulpit and later the altar rails were all removed.Notable Parishioners
- Artist Frances Lennon
- Actor John Comer