St Andrew's Church, West KirbyEdit profile
St Andrew's Church, West Kirby is in Meols Drive in the town of West Kirby, Wirral, England (grid reference SJ212872). The church is a Grade II listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Wirral North.History
This was originally from 1891 a chapel of ease to St Bridget's Church and became a separate parish in 1920. Building of the church began in 1889–91 by Douglas & Fordham and was completed in 1907–09 by Douglas and Minshull.Architecture
The church is built in snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings and has a slate roof. It is cruciform in shape and its plan consists of a five-bay nave, with clerestory, north and south aisles, a crossing, north and south transepts, and a chancel. Above the crossing is a tower which is set diagonally on which is a slate-hung spire and four slate-hung pinnacles. The south transept forms a chapel and the north transept holds the organ chamber. At the west end is a four-light window and at the east end a five-light window flanked by niches containing statues. The chancel has embattled parapets.Fittings and furnishings
The columns of the arcade are octagonal. The font is also octagonal and it has a timber cover with crocketed pinnacles. In the crossing are the choirstalls, and the chapel to the south has a parclose screen. On the south wall of the chancel are a piscina and a sedilia. The reredos is by Geoffrey Webb, is dated 1911, and contains canopied figures. The stained glass in the south transept, the north aisle and the east window is by Bryams.