St Alban's Church, MacclesfieldEdit profile
St Alban's Church, Macclesfield is in Chester Road, Macclesfield, Cheshire, England. It has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building. It was designed by A. G. Pugin and is described as a "church of exceptional interest among the works of this major architect".History
The church was designed in 1838 and built between 1839 and 1841. Some of the money needed to build it was given by the Earl of Shrewsbury.Architecture
The church is built in rubble with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. Its plan consists of a west tower, a nave with a high clerestory, north and south aisles, a chancel, a south chapel, a south porch, and a vestry in the northeast angle. Its style is Perpendicular. The tower is unfinished. Its west doorway is deeply moulded with five-light window above it. Above this is an arched light flanked by statues in niches. The tower has clasping buttresses and a stair turret in the southeast angle. The aisles have five-light windows and in the clerestory are ten closely-set two-light windows. The east window has seven lights.Interior
In the church the piers carrying the arcade are very slender. At the entrance to the tower, the chancel, and the chapel are tall, painted Perpendicular arches. In the tower are the organ and the choir gallery. The chancel arch contains a rood screen. The chancel has a coloured tile floor, a sedilia in the south wall, and an ornate altar piece with a statue in an aedicule over the tabernacle and 12 figures of saints on each side of it. The altarpiece of the chapel consists of a statue in a niche flanked by panels depicting scenes from the life of Mary. Another altar is at the east end of the north aisle. The pulpit was added in 1850 by E. W. Pugin. The stained glass in the east window is by Warrington. The organ was built by Gray & Davison and moved to St Alban's from St Michael's Church, Macclesfield in 1885. It was rebuilt by the same firm in the 1910s.