Spotswood railway station, MelbourneEdit profile
Spotswood is a railway station in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, located in the suburb of Spotswood, on the Werribee and Williamstown railway lines. The station is unmanned and is in Metcard Zone 1.Facilities
Spotswood is located at the southern end of the Hudsons Road level crossing, with station access from Hope and Hall Streets. The station consists of two side platforms; Platform 1 has a large brick building, while platform 2 has a smaller brick building. A large Metcard machine is located at the entrance to platform 1 that dispenses most ticketing options, notes and coins. A small coin only metcard machine is located at the entrance to platform 2 as well as at the entrance to platform 1. The Scienceworks Museum is a short walk from the station, along Hudsons Road.Platforms and services
- Suburban Metro Trains services to Flinders Street
- Suburban Metro Trains services to Werribee and Williamstown
Spotswood station opened on 1 December 1878 as Edom. It was renamed Bayswater in 1881, then renamed Spottiswoode in October of the same year, before being renamed Spotswood in 1905. On opening there were a number of sidings provided in the area, in 1914 a line was opened from the Newport end of the station to the Newport Power Station, in addition to a number of other sidings serving oil terminals in the area. A siding at the Melbourne end of the station served the AGM glass factory, with the last sand train from Koala Siding (near Nyora on the South Gippsland line) to Spotswood running on 15 January 1998. The interlocked crossing gates at Hudson Road were replaced by boom barriers in 1989.