Spanish Governor's Palace

The Spanish Governor's Palace is a National Historic Landmark in the city of San Antonio, Texas. Built in the first half of the 18th century, it was originally intended to protect the nearby San Antonio de Valero Mission (the Alamo) and the growing colony. It is considered the sole remaining example of an aristocratic early Spanish house in Texas. The National Geographic Society has called the landmark "the most beautiful building in San Antonio."


The building was constructed in the early 18th century, possibly as early as 1722. The keystone above the front entrance is marked with the coat-of-arms of Spanish King Ferdinand VI along with the date 1749. The building was actually the residence and working offices of the local presidio captain, and not the palace for the region's Spanish governor. The building later became the capitol building of the Tejas region of Spanish Texas in 1722.

The building is currently maintained by the City of San Antonio and is open to the public as a museum.

Description and location

The one-story masonry and stucco structure is built in the Spanish Colonial style. It features 10 rooms with a grand courtyard and fountain which is alleged to be haunted.

The palace is located in between Market Square and the San Antonio River Walk near the current city hall. The address is 105 Military Plaza.