The Spanish Arch (Irish: An Póirse Spáinneach) in Galway city, Ireland was originally an extension of the town wall from Martin's Tower to the bank of the Corrib, as a measure to protect the town's quays, which were located in the area once known as the Fish Market (now Spanish Parade). It was constructed during the mayoralty of Wylliam Martin in 1584, been called ceann an bhalla (the head of the wall).
In the 18th century the Eyre family of Eyrecourt, County Galway, created an extension of the quays called The Long Walk and created the arches to allow access from the town to the new quays. The Spanish Arch is located on the banks of the River Corrib directly across from The Claddagh.
In 1755, the arches were partially destroyed by the tsunami generated by the 1755 Lisbon earthquake.
Until 2006, part of the Arch housed the Galway City Museum. At that time, the museum was moved to a new, dedicated building located just behind the Arch.
The Long Walk is a promenade to one side of the Arches.
OpenBuildings updated a digital referenceabout 5 years ago via Annotator
OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital referenceabout 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
robert denton updated a digital referenceabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
Kiril Pavlov updatedabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com