Sovereign HotelEdit profile
The Sovereign Hotel was a Portland, Oregon, hotel built in 1923. The nine story building was added to the United States' National Register of Historic Places on December 2, 1981. Part of the building houses a portion of the Oregon Historical Society’s Oregon History Center.Details
The Georgian style building was designed by Carl L. Linde, and was also once known as the Sovereign Apartments. The Sovereign Hotel became the home of KFWV radio (later known as KWJJ) by September 1926 when the station moved from 385 E. 58th St. In March 1927 KFWV moved studios to the Broadway Theatre building. On two sides of the building are eight-story tall murals painted in 1989 by Richard Haas. One side shows the Lewis & Clark Expedition, while the mural on the south side of the structure depicts the pioneer period in Oregon’s history. In 1938, the hotel was converted into apartments. In 1982, the Oregon Historical Society purchased the building to expand the Oregon History Center.