Southerness lighthouseEdit profile
Southerness lighthouse is located at the village of Southerness in South West Scotland. It is at present the second oldest lighthouse in Scotland. The lighthouse was commissioned by the Town Council of Dumfries in 1748 to assist in the safe passage though the Solway Firth of ships heading to the Nith Estuary. Construction was completed in 1749.
The lighthouse was raised from its original structure twice, most notably between 1842 and 1844 to a design by Walter Newall.
The lighthouse was first lit around 1800 and was decommissioned in 1936. The light was extinguished due to financial reasons between 1867 and 1894.
- Southerness Lighthouse
Lighthouse from the path.
Lighthouse from the beach.
Top section showing erosion.
Coordinates: 54°52′20″N 3°35′36″W / 54.87222°N 3.59333°W / 54.87222; -3.59333