Southcote Lock

Southcote Lock is a lock on the River Kennet at Southcote within the town of Reading in Berkshire, England.


Southcote Lock was built between 1718 and 1723 under the supervision of the engineer John Hore of Newbury, and this stretch of the river is now administered by British Waterways and known as the Kennet Navigation. It has a rise/fall of 5 ft 3 in (1.65 m).


The Victorian brick building that overseas Southcote Lock is the redundant Southcote Pumping Station which, when it opened in 1850, pumped water to the Bath Road Reservoir thus providing the key meeting to Reading's demanding water needs.