South Yarra railway station, MelbourneEdit profile
South Yarra is a railway station in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. It is located on the Frankston, Pakenham, Cranbourne, and Sandringham railway lines, at Toorak Road and Yarra Street in the suburb of South Yarra. It is 4.2 km from Flinders Street Station, the center of the city's suburban railway network, and in Metcard ticketing Zone 1.
It is the seventh busiest railway station in Melbourne based upon passenger boardings, with an average of 11,300 boardings per day in 2009.
South Yarra has six platforms, with platforms 2&3 and 4&5 in island format and platforms 1 and 6 in side format. All platforms are linked by an overpass at the down end of the station. Inside the overpass are Metcard & myki ticket vending machines, ticket facilities, toilets and a Coca-Cola Red Engine take-away food shop, but no waiting room. The overpass leads out to Toorak Road and Yarra Street which is heavily congested during weekday peak hours.
South Yarra opened in 1860 as Gardiner's Creek Road (the former name for Toorak Road) and served the Brighton line on what was called the "Prahran Branch" of the Melbourne and Suburban Railway Company. Cooper (1924) advises that when the South Yarra to Oakleigh line was first laid a set of points connected the line to the existing Brighton line. In practice it was found that a high embankment obscured vision from approaching trains on both lines. To avert a disaster, it was decided that the Oakleigh line should have its own tracks into Melbourne, and soon after a second bridge spanning the Yarra River was built to facilitate this. (p. 307). The construction of the South Yarra to Oakleigh line hastened the demise of the Outer Circle railway line.
South Yarra was upgraded to a Premium Station in 1996.
Platforms, services and connecting tram service
- Sandringham line - all stations services to Flinders Street.
- Sandringham line - all stations services to Sandringham.
- Frankston line - all stations services to Flinders Street.
- Frankston line - all stations and limited stops services to Mordialloc and Frankston.
- Pakenham & Cranbourne lines - all stations services to Flinders Street.
- Pakenham & Cranbourne lines - all stations and limited stops services to Oakleigh, Dandenong, Pakenham and Cranbourne.
- Tram route 8 Moreland Station - Toorak via Moreland Road, Lygon Street, Swanston Street, St Kilda Road, Domain Road, Toorak Road.
View of the station from Platform 1.