South Bermondsey railway stationEdit profile
The original station (now sometimes referred to as "Old Bermondsey Station") was situated to the north-west of South Bermondsey Junction, on the northern side of Rotherhithe New Road. It opened on 13 August 1866 with the line to New Cross Gate, originally being named Rotherhithe; it was renamed South Bermondsey on 1 December 1869. It closed on 17 June 1928, when the present station, situated south of South Bermondsey Junction, took its place. Like most of the lines in the area it is on a viaduct; the platforms and buildings are of wooden construction. Following the opening in 1993 of the adjacent New Den Stadium, Millwall F.C.'s home ground a footpath was built directly from the station to the ground.
In May 2012 when the London Overground services starts between Surrey Quays and Clapham Junction this station will lose its direct service to Victoria. This will be the only station on this line not to be served by London Overground as it diverts away in between this station and Queens Road Peckham. This station will also lose two trains per hour to London Bridge.
The typical Monday-Saturday off-peak service in trains per hour is:
- 6 to London Bridge
- 2 to London Victoria, calling at Queens Road Peckham, Peckham Rye, Denmark Hill, Clapham High Street, Wandsworth Road and Battersea Park
- 2 to West Croydon, calling at all stations to Peckham Rye and then East Dulwich, North Dulwich, Tulse Hill, Streatham, Streatham Common, Norbury, Thornton Heath and Selhurst
- 2 to Beckenham Junction, calling at all stations to Tulse Hill and then West Norwood, Gipsy Hill, Crystal Palace and Birkbeck
- 6 to London Bridge
- 2 to London Victoria as above
- 2 to Selhurst
- 2 to Crystal Palace (with connections to Overground)
Preceding station National Rail Following station London Bridge Southern South London Line (Inner) London Bridge to West Croydon and Beckenham Junction Queens Road Peckham South London Line London Victoria Battersea Park Wandsworth Road Clapham High Street Denmark Hill Peckham Rye Queens Road Peckham South Bermondsey London Bridge