Sorlie Memorial Bridge

The Sorlie Memorial Bridge, also known as the Red River Bridge was built in 1929 by the Minneapolis Bridge Company to connect the cities of Grand Forks, North Dakota and East Grand Forks, Minnesota.It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.

The Sorlie Memorial Bridge replaced a swing bridge on the same site that was constructed in 1889. It is a Parker through truss bridge with two truss spans and rides on rails to accommodate the everchanging banks of the Red River of the North. The Sorlie Memorial Bridge was named for North Dakota's 14th governor, Arthur G. Sorlie. Plaques on either end identify Sorlie as "a true friend of better roads and bridges." At the time, the bridge was the only vehicular crossing in the area, and was important for carrying U.S. Route 2, a transcontinental route. It is the oldest documented Parker truss design in the state, and its two spans of 283 feet (86 m) are the longest riveted Parker through trusses in the state.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com