Somerford Keynes
Somerford Keynes ( grid reference SU019952 ) is a small village in Gloucestershire, close to the River Thames and Thames Path a couple of miles from its source and close to the Cotswold Water Park. It is on the boundary with Wiltshire midway between Cirencester, Swindon and Malmesbury. Somerford Keynes is also the name of a character in the Rutshire Chronicles books by Jilly Cooper.

History
A series of salvage excavations at Spratsgate Lane from 1986 to 1988, before the creation of the Cotswold Water Park, revealed part of an Iron Age and Roman settlement at Somerford Keynes. The earliest features discovered comprised a series of curvilinear enclosures dating from the early 1st century AD to the early 2nd century AD, which may have been part of a farmstead. A religious focus is also hinted at by an unusually large number of coins and brooches, which may have been votive deposits. Stone sculptural fragments were found of an eagle and a shield. These may have belonged to a representation of the Roman Capitoline triad (The gods Jupiter, Juno and Minerva), and therefore point to an official religious presence. The village is first mentioned in writing in the year 685AD. A charter in that year confirmed a gift of 40 hides of land by King Ethelred's nephew Bertwald, to Aldhelm, the first abbot of Malmesbury. The manor was held by William de Cahaignes in 1211an ancestor of the Keynes family.

Government and politics
Somerford Keynes has a parish council and is represented by the county councillor for South Cotswold and the three district councillors for Water Park ward on Cotswold District Council.

Manor House
The Manor House dates from the 15th century and is grade II listed.

All Saints parish church
The Church of England parish church of All Saints is a grade II* listed building which has Saxon foundations dating from about 685. It was largely rebuilt in the early 13th century, with the tower being added in 1710-13, which was restored 1875. The north aisle contains a large black and white marble monument with reclining effigy to Robert Straung (Strange), who died in 1654. Several monuments in the churchyard are also listed, commemorating the Ferrebec family, William Hales, died 1806, Harrison and two Davis monuments, and several other monuments.