Smith's Fort Plantation

Smith's Fort Plantation is a house and parcel of land located in Surry County, Virginia, United States. The current main house on the property, also known as the Faulcon House, dates from 1751. The house has been an example for numerous twentieth century reproductions.

History

The plantation received its name because it was the location of Captain John Smith's "New Fort," built in 1609, located directly across the James River from the Jamestown colony. The fort was quickly abandoned due to dry rot and a rat infestation. The same land was later given by Chief Powhatan to John Rolfe as a dowry for the hand of Pocahontas when Rolfe and Pocahontas married. Archaeological surveys of the property have revealed that a number of structures have existed on the property and the present, restored main house was built by Jacob Faulcon in 1751.

Preservation

The property and current house was acquired by Preservation Virginia (formerly known as the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities) in 1933 after undergoing restoration funded by John D. Rockefeller, Jr.. It is currently open as a museum with furnishings from the late 16th through the early 18th centuries. The property serves as a host to the annual Old Virginia Christmas-Festival of Crafts.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com