Single Brothers' HouseEdit profile
The Single Brothers' House was built to house the Single Brethren, the unmarried men, of the Moravian Congregation of Salem, now Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The first portion designed by Friedrich Wilhelm von Marschall, secular leader of the Moravian colony, was constructed of traditional Germanic half-timber framing, exposed brick noggin, a clay tile roof, and had a pent eave. It was completed in 1769. A later brick addition, was added in 1786, by master mason Johann Gottlob Krause to the south end. The building housed craftsmen and their apprentices, as well as provide individual trades shops. The building had kitchen and dining room, administrative offices, and a Saal (worship/meeting area). Additional buildings were constructed on the large property that provided additional space for the activities such as the (reconstructed) 1771 Workshop building behind. There were also a brewery, slaughterhouse, distillery, and tannery on the parcel, as well as extensive gardens that have been partially restored. The Single Brothers House was closed in 1823, with the oldest part used as apartments and the brick addition as a Boys School. The school only stayed in the building for 6 years, after which the building was primarily residential and eventually became known as the "Widow's House" since there were mainly single women and widows of the congregation living in it. The Single Sisters later took control of the property and eventually it was leased as part of the museum and restored in 1964.
The building belongs to the Moravian Church Southern Province and is currently part of the tour for Old Salem Museums & Gardens.
It was declared an individual National Historic Landmark in 1970, and is part of the National Historic Landmark Historic District designed in 1966. The building is also located in the local Old Salem Historic District.
It is located at 600 South Main Street, at Academy Street, on the southwest corner.