Simmons-Edwards HouseEdit profile
The large, neoclassical Simmons-Edwards House was built for Francis Simmons, a Johns Island planter, about 1800. The house, located at 14 Legare St., Charleston, South Carolina, is famous for its large brick gates with decorative wrought iron. The gates, which were installed by George Edwards (and which bear his initials) include finials were carved to resemble Italian pinecones. They are frequently referred to as pineapples by locals, and the house is known popularly as the Pineapple Gates House. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1973. According to the South Carolina Department of Archives and History, "In 1816, George Edwards purchased the property and enlarged the premises, creating a garden which was separated from the house yard by a notable fence of wrought iron which had unusual stuccoed columns topped with sandstone balls."