Shrubland ParkEdit profile
Shrubland Park stands on an abrupt glacial ridge in Suffolk, England overlooking the Gipping Valley between Ipswich and Needham Market. The first recorded owner was Robert de Shrubeland, although there is evidence of occupation on the site since the Roman period. The Grade II* listed hall was designed by James Paine in the 1770s and survives as the central core on the present building. The entrance was originally at ground level on the garden side. While Gandy Deering made extensive alterations in the 1830s. There was a major remodelling of the building in 1850 by Sir Charles Barry who also designed the gardens. Shrubland Hall Health Clinic operated in the hall adjoining Shrubland Park Gardens from the 1960s until 2 April 2006, when the Shrubland Estate, totalling some 1,300 acres (5.3 km 2), was put up for sale with an asking price of £23 million. By late 2007 no sale had yet been finalised. The Shrubland Park Estate was the ancestral family seat of the Barons de Saumarez. The gardens which contain many Grade II listed features were open to the public until 2006 as a visitor attraction . It is styled in true Italian style, much use is made of evergreens (yew, box and laurel) clipped into architectural shapes to soften the hard landscaping of the masonry. Much use is also made of Pines, Cedars, Holly and Holm Oak to further the Italian flavour and style of the garden.