Shrewsbury Cathedral
The Cathedral Church of Our Lady Help of Christians and Saint Peter of Alcantara, commonly known as Shrewsbury Cathedral, is a Roman Catholic cathedral in Shrewsbury, England. It is the seat of the Bishop of Shrewsbury and mother church of the Diocese of Shrewsbury which covers the counties of Shropshire and Cheshire, part of Greater Manchester and part of Merseyside.

History
Edward Pugin (the son of Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin) designed the cathedral, which was completed in 1856. He had planned a grand building with a tall spire but these designs could not be carried out due to the site's weak foundations. The spire had to be abandoned and the building scaled down, resulting in the building as it is today. Bertram, the Earl of Shrewsbury, financed the building but died three months prior to completion. In 1984, the cathedral was re-ordered which brought it in line with the revised liturgy. Local Grinshill stone was used for the new altar which Bishop Gray consecrated in 1985.

Windows
Among the glories of Shrewsbury Cathedral has to be counted the stained glass. The older glass is mostly from the Hardman Studio in Birmingham, and the Cathedral is very fortunate to have seven windows by the Arts and Craft Artist Margaret Rope, who was the daughter of a local doctor. She later became a Carmelite nun, following training in Dublin. These seven beautiful windows were produced between the two world wars.

Media

2 photos

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com