Shelton-McMurphey-Johnson HouseEdit profile
The Shelton-McMurphey-Johnson House, or Castle on the Hill in Eugene, Oregon, United States is a Victorian-era residence that is listed on the National Register of Historical Places. It is named for the three families who called it home over the years. The house is now open for public tours and pre-arranged private events.Location
The Shelton-McMurphey-Johnson House is located at 303 Willamette Street in Eugene, Oregon, at the south side of Skinner Butte.History
The Queen Anne-styled house, built in 1888 for Dr. T. W. Shelton, was designed by Salem, Oregon architect Walter D. Pugh. It has undergone several modifications, including an enlargement in the 1910s for Dr. Robert McMurphey, and a remodel by Drs. Curtis and Eva Johnson in 1951 which restored its original turret. The house suffered two major fires, one during its initial construction, and a second one in 1950 during the Johnson remodel.
The house was deeded to Lane County in 1976.