Sheffield LockEdit profile
Sheffield Lock, at grid reference SU648706, is a lock on the Kennet and Avon Canal, in the civil parish of Burghfield in the English county of Berkshire. It is also sometimes, incorrectly, known as Shenfield Lock.
Sheffield Lock was built between 1718 and 1723 under the supervision of the engineer John Hore of Newbury, and this stretch of the river is now administered by British Waterways and known as the Kennet Navigation. It has a rise/fall of 2 ft 2 in (0.66 m).
The lock was built in the early 18th century and was originally turf-sided. It was enlarged in the mid 18th century to cope with larger "Newbury barges" and has 20th century alterations. It consists of brick chamber walls of 11 scalloped bays, with brick coping and has 2 sets of double wooden gates, all with mechanical gate paddle gearing. The lock is a grade II* listed building, and scheduled ancient monument.