Shanghai Concert HallEdit profile
Shanghai Concert Hall (simplified Chinese: 上海音乐厅; traditional Chinese: 上海音樂廳; pinyin: Shànghǎi Yīnyuè Tīng) is located on the intersection of Yan'an Rd and South Tibet Rd of Huangpu District, Shanghai. It was founded in 1930, originally named Nanjing Drama Hall. In 1949, it adopted the name Beijing Cinema. In 1959, it was named Shanghai Concert Hall till today.
The hall can accommodate 1,122 seats, 640 on the ground floor and 482 on the second floor. The stage is 8.35 meters times 16 meters, covering around 100 sq. meters.
The Concert Hall was designed by a Chinese architect Fan Wen-jiao, but it adopted traditional European style.
In order to make way for Highway on Yan'an Rd, the hall was relocated in 2007. The project embarked at 10 am on April 15, and cost 50 million RMB. The 5800 kiloton concert hall was first lifted by 1.7 meters, moved east by 66.4 meters, and then lifted a further 1.7 meters at the new site. The project concluded on January 1, 2008. The Shanghai Concert Hall reopened on September 26, 2008.
31°13′44.06″N 121°28′22.40″E / 31.2289056°N 121.472889°E / 31.2289056; 121.472889 (Shanghai Concert Hall)Coordinates: 31°13′44.06″N 121°28′22.40″E / 31.2289056°N 121.472889°E / 31.2289056; 121.472889 (Shanghai Concert Hall)