Shadyside Presbyterian ChurchEdit profile
Shadyside Presbyterian Church is a large congregation of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) in an historic part of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. Located at the corner of Amberson Avenue and Westminster Place in the Shadyside neighborhood, Shadyside Presbyterian Church was founded in 1866 and has enjoyed a long history of local, national, and global recognition for its outreach and service. The Shadyside church building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a prime example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture. It was completed in 1890 to designs of American architectural firm Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge, the successor firm to H.H. Richardson's own office. The congregation is served by Senior Pastor the Rev. Dr. Craig Barnes, noted author and speaker, and Pittsburgh Theological Seminary professor. It was here, in 1933 that the now global practice of celebrating World Communion Sunday on the first Sunday in October was originated. It also was the first church anywhere to pioneer regular radio broadcasts of its worship, on KDKA, the first commercially licensed radio station in the United States, and was the first church to broadcast worship to both the North Pole and to the South Pole.