Semper SynagogueEdit profile
Semper Synagogue, also known as the Dresden Synagogue, was built in 1838-40 for the Jewish community of Dresden by Gottfried Semper. It was an early example of the Moorish Revival style of synagogue architecture.
The Semper was the first synagogue to feature the richly ornamented interior that was to become the hallmark of Moorish Revival architecture. While the exterior was Romanesque, the elaborate Arabic-style interior featured a two-tiered balcony supported by columns copied from the Alhambra. The arches and balcony fronts were richly worked with intricate polychrome foliate and lattice designs in the Moorish style.
The synagogue was destroyed on Kristallnacht.
The New Synagogue (Dresden) was erected on the site of the Semper synagogue.Images
Coordinates: 51°03′09″N 13°44′48″E / 51.0524°N 13.7468°E / 51.0524; 13.7468