Seckau Abbey

Seckau Abbey or Abbey of Our Dear Lady, Seckau (German: Abtei Seckau or Abtei Unserer Lieben Frau) is a Benedictine monastery in Seckau in Styria, Austria.

History

The monastery was founded by the Augustinian Canons, when an already existing monastery was moved to Seckau in 1142. This establishment was dissolved in 1782.

In 1883 the monastery was resettled by Benedictines from Beuron Archabbey, who had had to leave Germany because of the "culture struggle" ("Kulturkampf"). In 1940 the monks were evicted by the Gestapo and the buildings were confiscated. In 1945 the monks were able to return.

The abbey maintains a secondary school ("Gymnasium") and the duties of the pastoral care belonging to a parish.

It is part of the Beuronese Congregation within the Benedictine Confederation.

Abbey church

The abbey church, a Romanesque basilica, was built between 1143 and 1164. For centuries it was the place of burial of the Inner Austria line of the Habsburgs. In 1930 it was declared a papal "basilica minor".

In numismatics

Seckau Abbey was recently selected as a main motif for a high value Austrian euro collectors' coin: the Seckau Abbey commemorative coin. The obverse shows a wide view of the Abbey of Seckau looking west. Located in the center is the great Romanesque basilica with its two mighty towers surrounded by the Baroque monastic buildings. The reverse shows a view from the main entrance of the church to the high altar, the mediaeval crucifixion group hanging on four massive chains can be depicted.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com