Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club

Edit profile
Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club
The Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club is one of the oldest yacht clubs in the Western Hemisphere , located in Oyster Bay, New York, with access to Long Island Sound.

History
The Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club was founded (as the "Seawanhaka Yacht Club") in September 1871 aboard the sloop Glance, anchored off Centre Island. Glance's captain, William L. Swan, was elected Seawanhaka’s first Commodore. For many years, club meetings were held aboard this flagship. In 1887 the organization leased a club house in Manhattan. Finally, in 1891-1892, the club returned to Oyster Bay, where a new club house was opened, and the club merged with the Oyster Bay Yacht Club. Recognizing its important history, the Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. In 1881, the club leased space on Staten Island, and the word "Corinthian" was incorporated into the club’s name

Seawanhaka Rule
In 1882, the club adopted a rating rule that would govern all its races: Simply known as the "Seawanhaka Rule", it served as a rating for all eastern seaboard races from 1887 onwards, including the America's Cup from 1893 to 1903. The Load Waterline Length was usually placed under a class limit, where any amount beyond the limit was counted double.

Commodores
  • William L. Swan
  • Elias Cornelius Benedict (1834”“1920)


Building Activity

  • Kiril Pavlov
    Kiril Pavlov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com