Seaboard Coast Line Railroad DepotEdit profile
The Naples Seaboard Air Line Railway Station (also known as the Naples Railroad Depot or Seaboard Coast Line Railroad Depot) is a historic Seaboard Air Line Railroad depot in Naples, Florida. It is located at 1051 5th Avenue, South.History
The depot was constructed in 1927 in the same Mediterranean Revival style the Seaboard Air Line used with its stations in Delray Beach, Deerfield Beach, Hialeah, and Homestead on the southeast coast of Florida, and is virtually identical to the Hialeah depot. The station only briefly saw Seaboard Air Line passenger service in the late 1920s before the railroad reduced its Arcadia to Naples Branch to freight service only. Freight service was then halted in the 1930s, at which time the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad bought both the depot and the Seaboard tracks to Naples.
During World War II, the depot was home to USO shows for troops stationed at the nearby Naples airfield. In 1952, the Atlantic Coast Line resumed both freight and daily passenger service to the depot. Passenger service ended shortly after Seaboard and the Atlantic Coast Line merged to form the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad in 1967. On September 10, 1974, the depot was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. Freight service was halted for good in the early 1980s, and the adjacent tracks were removed shortly afterward. The station has since been fully restored by the Collier County Museum, and is now operated as one of its five County Museums.