Schoenhofen Brewery Historic District

Edit profile
Schoenhofen Brewery Historic District
The Schoenhofen Brewery Historic District is centered around the former site of the Peter Schoenhofen Brewing Company at 18th and Canalport Avenue in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois. Beginning in the mid 1880s, Peter Schoenhofen was among a group of brewers in Chicago who transformed production methods and utilized expanding transportation options. By 1900, there were sixty Chicago breweries that collectively produced over 100 million gallons of beer per year. The Schoenhofen brewery building survived prohibition and competition from national brands, and is still used for bottling beverages, although no longer beer. Breweries, food factories, and stockyards dotted the Chicago area by the mid-20th century. The Schoenhofen Brewery was typical of the region, although enterprises were not located in the city center, but along the new rail lines.

Overview
Seventeen buildings once occupied the site when the brewery reached maximum capacity in 1910 at 1,200,000 barrels a year. Two of the remaining buildings demonstrate the change in architectural styles that occurred at the turn of the century in the United States. The brewery's administration building was constructed in 1886, with ornate designs of the late-Victorian era. The powerhouse, constructed in 1902, is an example of second-generation " Chicago School" architectural style, with ornamental brickwork at the columns between windows, and simplified brickwork at the window piers and the piers and spandrels. The brewery district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 27, 1978 and the Administration Building and Powerhouse were later designated Chicago Landmarks on July 13, 1988.

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com