Schmidt Field HouseEdit profile
The Schmidt Memorial Field House is an on-campus arena at Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio. It was built in 1927 and opened on March 7, 1928 with a win against archrival Cincinnati. It is named for Walter Schmidt, Class of 1905, a benefactor to then-St. Xavier College who also donated money for Schmidt Hall (formerly the library, now the President's office) on campus.
It was the first on-campus arena for the university, and was in use from the last game of the 1928 season to 1983, when the team moved to the off-campus Cincinnati Gardens full-time. (The team had played a few big games a year there, as well as Riverfront Coliseum, prior to that.) Since 1983, the team has only returned once to the arena, for a game against Florida International University in January 1988.
Currently the fieldhouse is used for the school's recreational sports program. It has also hosted World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) events, and a speech by President Bill Clinton in 1996.