Schenck's Mill Covered BridgeEdit profile
Schenk's Mill Covered Bridge or Shenk's Mill Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans the Big Chiques Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. A county-owned and maintained bridge, its official designation is the Big Chiques #4 Bridge. (Chiques Creek was known as Chickies Creek until 2002).
The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. It is one of only 3 covered bridges in the county with horizontal side boards.
The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-30. Added in 1980, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as structure number 80003531. It is located at 40°6′57.6″N 76°25′31.1″W / 40.116°N 76.425306°W / 40.116; -76.425306 (40.1160, -76.4253).History
The bridge was built in 1855 by Charles Malhorn and Levi Fink.Dimensions
- Length: 80 feet (24.4 m) span and 96 feet (29.3 m) total length
- Width: 13 feet 10 inches (4.2 m) clear deck and 15 feet (4.6 m) total width
- Overhead clearance: 12 feet (3.7 m)
- Underclearance: 10 feet 6 inches (3.2 m)