Schackgalerie

The Schackgalerie is a museum in Munich. It is one of the noted galleries in this city. The museum is under supervision of the Bavarian State Picture Collection.

Collection

In 1855, Adolf Friedrich von Schack settled at Munich, where he was made member of the academy of sciences. Here he began to collect a splendid gallery of pictures, containing masterpieces of Romanticism with painters such as Anselm Feuerbach, Moritz von Schwind, Arnold Böcklin, Franz von Lenbach, Carl Spitzweg, Carl Rottmann, etc., and which, though bequeathed by him to the Emperor William II, still remains at Munich.

A building from Max Littmann (1907) next to the former diplomatic mission of Prussia in the Prinzregentenstrasse still houses the museum since the emperor decided to keep the collection in Munich.

Galery
  • Selection of paintings in the Schackgalerie
  • Moritz von Schwind — Morgenstunde 1858

  • Anselm Feuerbach — Paolo und Francesca 1864

  • Franz von Lenbach — Hirtenknabe 1860

  • Arnold Böcklin — Villa am Meer II 1865

  • Carl Spitzweg — Hypochonder um 1865

Coordinates: 48°08′32″N 11°35′36″E / 48.14222°N 11.59333°E / 48.14222; 11.59333

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com