Sant'Angelo in PescheriaEdit profile
Sant'Angelo in Pescheria or in Piscaria is a church in Rome. It dates from the 8th century. "In Pescheria" refers to its location close to the fish market built in the ruins of the ancient Porticus Octaviae.
The relics of St. Symphorosa and her seven sons were transferred to the Church of Sant'Angelo in Pescheria at Rome by Pope Stephen II in 752. A sarcophagus was found here in 1610, bearing the inscription: Hic requiescunt corpora SS. Martyrum Simforosae, viri sui Zotici (Getulii) et Filiorum ejus a Stephano Papa translata. This inscription refers to Saint Getulius and Saint Symphorosa, purported to be husband and wife, who had seven sons, who were also martyred. The remains of these saints were transferred to Sant'Angelo by Pope Stephen II in 752.
The revolutionary "tribune" Cola di Rienzo was born near Sant'Angelo. He launched his effort to seize control of Rome from the vicinity of the church in 1347.
The Roman Ghetto was established nearby in the rione Sant'Angelo in 1555 by order of Pope Paul V. The Ghetto was abolished in 1870 after the reunification of Italy or Risorgimento, and the Ghetto wall was demolished in 1888. The rione Sant'Angelo, Rome, numbered as XI, is named for the church.
In the second chapel to the left inside the church are frescoes of the Madonna with Child and Angels attributed to Benozzo Gozzoli (c. 1450).