Sankaty Head LightEdit profile
The Sankaty Head Light is a lighthouse located on Nantucket island. It was built in 1850, was automated in 1965, and is still in operation.
In 1987, the Sankaty Lighthouse was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as the Sankaty Head Light, reference number 87002028.
According to the National Park Service, only the lower part of the tower is original. The lantern and stairs are reproductions.
The lighthouse was moved away from an eroding bluff (approximately 400 feet) in October 2007.National Register listing
- Sankaty Head Light
- (added 1987 - Structure - #87002028)
- Sankaty Head, Nantucket Island, Nantucket
- Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
- Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown
- Architectural Style: No Style Listed
- Area of Significance: Maritime History, Engineering, Transportation
- Period of Significance: 1825-1849, 1850–1874, 1875–1899
- Owner: Federal
- Historic Function: Defense, Transportation
- Historic Sub-function: Coast Guard Facility, Water-Related
- Current Function: Defense, Transportation
- Current Sub-function: Coast Guard Facility, Water-Related