Sandgate CastleEdit profile
Sandgate Castle was one of Henry VIII's Device Forts. Built in 1539 near Sandgate, Kent, its exposed location has led to much damage by storm tides. Converted to a Martello Tower in the early 1800s, it is now in private ownership, open by arrangement with the Castle Gallery antique shop. It should not be mistaken for Sandown Castle, Kent or Sandown Castle, Isle of Wight in the same chain.