Sanborn Seminary
Sanborn Seminary was built in Kingston, New Hampshire, in 1883 by Major Edward S. Sanborn (died 1885) as the main building of a secular secondary boarding school. The school ran continuously until 1966 when it was sold to the Town of Kingston. The campus became known as Sanborn Regional High School and served students from the towns of Kingston, Newton, and Fremont. The last class at this campus graduated in June 2006.

The Seminary building was designed in the Victorian Gothic style popular at the time of its construction. The architect is unknown. In preparation for the building's 100th anniversary in 1983, an exterior restoration project was completed, and the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Seminary is the centerpiece of a campus complex that originally included five additional wood frame structures and a beach recreation area on nearby Greenwood Pond. The bell tower was removed from the building's roof and located on the East Lawn until 2006, when it was relocated to the new Sanborn Regional High School atrium.

Current use
A new building for Sanborn Regional High School opened on August 28, 2006. The Seminary and other campus buildings are expected to be adapted for School Administrative Unit 17 office uses. One of the buildings on the campus site is now being used by the Seacoast Charter school.

  • Nomination Form, National Register of Historic Places, National Parks Service, United States Department of the Interior, 1984.
  • "Old school hosts final graduation", June 23, 2006, The Rockingham News, accessed on August 31, 2006.
  • "Sanborn's dual life; The secrets which were revealed after his death", The New York Times, September 22, 1885, page 2.
  • "Was Sanborn Sane? Dartmouth College contesting one of his wills", The New York Times, February 19, 1886, page 2.
  • "Edward S. Sanborn's life; Efforts to break the will of an eccentric man. The dual life of the testator used as a means to prove insanity --testimony regarding his habits", The New York Times, January 2, 1886.

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 6 years ago via