San Sigismondo

San Sigismondo is a religious complex in Cremona, northern Italy. It is located some 2 km outside the historical centre of the city.

The monastery was founded on 10 June 1463 to celebrate the union between the previously rival families of the Visconti and the Sforza, who had contended for the rule in the Duchy of Milan. An inscription near the high altar reads: "Here Francesco Sforza, Duke of Milan, joined in marriage Biancamaria daughter of Filippo Visconti: this as habit it meant, and with the word and the ring in the year 1447".

The building was designed by the ducal military engineer, Bartolomeo Gadio. The church has a façade deivided in two storeys by an entablature supported by four fake columns in Doric style, which are surmounted by a tympanum and five small spires. The entrance, over whish is a rose window, is supported by two Ionic columns with a Baroque flavour.

The interior is on the Latin Cross plan, with a nave and six chapels on each side. It houses artworks from the Campi brothers, Bernardino Gatti, Giovanni Bertesi and Gabriele Capra.

The bell tower is octagonal in plan, the upper part being cylindrical in shape.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via