San Giacomo dall'Orio

The Chiesa di San Giacomo dall'Orio (or San Giacomo Apostolo - St James the Apostle) is a church located in the middle of a residential district of Venice. The origin of the church's name is unknown. Possibilities include being named after a laurel (lauro) that once stood nearby, a version of dal Rio ("of the river"), or once standing on an area of dried-up swamp (luprio). It was founded in the 9th century and rebuilt in 1225. The campanile dates from this period. There have been a number of rebuildings since that time (including a major renovation in 1532) and the ship's keel roof dates from the 14th century. Two of the columns were brought back from the Fourth Crusade.

San Giacomo dall'Orio is a parish church of the Vicariate of San Polo-Santa Croce-Dorsoduro. The other churches in the parish are San Stae and San Zandegolà.

Works of art
  • Francesco Bassano (Madonna in Glory and St John the Baptist preaching in the new sacristy, the latter including portraits of Bassano's family and Titian)
  • Lorenzo Lotto (Madonna and four Saints, the altarpiece of the high altar)
  • Palma il Giovane (Mystery of the Eucharist covering the walls and part of the ceiling of the old sacristy; two scenes from The Life of St Laurence in the north transept)
  • Paolo Veneziano (painted Crucifix hanging in front of the high altar (attributed))
  • Veronese (SS Laurence, Jerome and Prosper, altarpiece in the north transept; Allegory of Faith and The Doctors of the Church on the ceiling of the new sacristy (both by Veronese's workshop))

Coordinates: 45°26′24.48″N 12°19′38.65″E / 45.4401333°N 12.3274028°E / 45.4401333; 12.3274028

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via