Samuel L. Smith HouseEdit profile
The Samuel L. Smith House is located at 5035 Woodward Avenue in Detroit, Michigan. It was also known as the Schools Annex. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.History
This house was built in 1889 for $17,000, for William C. Williams in what was then a quiet neighborhood on the outskirts of Detroit. The next year, Williams sold the home to its most famous resident, Samuel L. Smith. Smith was one of the most prominent citizens of Detroit at the time, having made his fortune in lumber, shipping, mining and railroad ventures. He later financed many automobile ventures, most notably the Olds Motor Works.
Smith lived in the home for 27 years, after which it was purchased by the Detroit Music Conservatory. A few years later, the Conservatory built a two story rear addition that connected the main house to the original carriage house.
In 1960, Wayne State University purchased the building to serve as the home for WDET and WSU's Office of the Center of Instructional Technology. In 1979, the Detroit Public Schools bought the building, using it until 2003 when WSU repurchased it.