Salem Tavern was a tavern in the 18th century town of Salem, North Carolina, now within the city of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. It is part of Old Salem Museums & Gardens and open as an Old Salem tour building to visitors.
Constructed on the foundations of an earlier 1771 Tavern which burnt to the ground in 1784, it was quickly rebuilt since it formed an important function in the Moravian Church community which was a trade town. Constructed by mason Johann Gottlob Krause using bricks already on hand for another building, the Tavern reopened quickly. The Tavern complex was later expanded by the construction of a wooden building to the north in 1815, then a building connected the two was constructed in 1832. The two story porch was run across the three buildings in 1838. The Tavern was the lodgings for George Washington for two nights during his Southern Tour in 1791.
The Tavern and adjacent 1815 building have been restored to their original appearances.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1964.Sources
- Old Salem: The Official Guidebook. Penelope Niven and Cornelia Wright. Old Salem Inc.: Winston-Salem, NC. 2000.