Saint Stephen's BasilicaEdit profile
St. Stephen's Basilica (Hungarian: Szent István-bazilika) is a Roman Catholic basilica in Budapest, Hungary. It is named in honour of Stephen, the first King of Hungary (c 975–1038), whose mummified fist is housed in the reliquary.Architecture
The church is named for Saint Stephen I of Hungary, the first King of Hungary (c. 975–1038), whose incorruptible right hand is housed in the reliquary.
This is the most important church building in Hungary, one of the most significant tourist attractions and the third highest building in Hungary.
Equal with the Hungarian Parliament Building, it is the one of the two tallest buildings in Budapest at 96 metres (315 ft) - this equation symbolises that worldly and spiritual thinking have the same importance. According to current regulations there cannot be taller building in Budapest than 96 metres (315 ft). It has a width of 55 metres (180 ft), and length of 87.4 metres (287 ft). It was completed in 1905 after 54 years of construction, according to the plans of Miklós Ybl, and was completed by József Kauser. Much of this delay can be attributed to the collapse of the dome in 1868 which required complete demolition of the completed works and rebuilding from the ground up.
The architectural style is Neo-Classical; it has a Greek cross ground plan. The façade is anchored by two large bell towers. In the southern tower is Hungary's biggest bell, weighing over 9 tonnes (8.9 long tons; 9.9 short tons) . Its predecessor had a weight of almost 8 tonnes (7.9 long tons; 8.8 short tons), but it was used for military purposes during World War II. Visitors may access the dome by elevators or by climbing 364 stairs for a 360° view overlooking Budapest.
Concerts in the Basilica: The program of the concerts was adapted by Miklós Teleki. Together with András Virágh, they belong to some of the best organ artists in Hungary. The arias of the program are performed by Kolos Kováts, one of the most famous concert and oratorio singers in Hungary. Among numerous prizes, in 1992 he received also the highest prize Hungarian artists can acquire: the Kossuth Prize. The flute is played by Eleonóra Krusic who is already known for her performances with different orchestras from Barcelona to Zürich, Granz and Viena. Actual concert datesBells of the basilica
The basilica has six bells: one in the south tower and five in the north tower.
- Great St. Stephan bell:
Largest bell of Hungary. Located in the south tower, its weight is 9250 kg, the diameter of the bell is 240 cm. It was founder by the Perner bell foundry in Passau, Germany in 1990.
- Blessed Virgin Mary bell:
The oldest bell of the church, founden by Ferenc Walser in 1863 in . It weighs 3100 kg and has a diameter of 178,5 cm.
- St. Henry II. bell:
Its weight is 2150 kg and has a diameter of 150 cm. Founded in Passau in 1993.
- Blessed Gizella bell:
Its weight is 1250 kg and has a diameter of 117,8 cm. Founden in Passau in 1993.
- Saint Emeric bell:
Its weight is 750 kg. Founded in Passau in 1993.
- Saint Erzsébet (Elizabeth) from the House of Árpád bell:
Its weight is 500 kg. Founden in Passau in 1993.
The great bell was consecrated on 20. August 1990. on the day of St. Stephan. The four smaller bells were consecrated three years later on the same day.