Saint-Malo CathedralEdit profile
Saint-Malo Cathedral (Cathédrale Saint-Vincent-de-Saragosse de Saint-Malo) is a Roman Catholic cathedral dedicated to Saint Vincent of Saragossa, and a national monument of France, in Saint-Malo, Brittany.
It was formerly the seat of the Bishop of Saint-Malo. This see was created in 1146 when Jean de Châtillon, Bishop of Aleth, transferred his bishopric to the growing town of Saint-Malo on a more secure site across the river. The monastery of Saint Malo, founded in 1108, became the home of the bishopric and its church the new cathedral, replacing Aleth Cathedral.
It was abolished under the Concordat of 1801 and its territory divided between the dioceses of Rennes, Saint-Brieuc and Vannes.Sources
- Organs in France: brief history of cathedral
- Catholic Hierarchy: Diocese of Saint-Malo
Coordinates: 48°38′58″N 2°1′32″W / 48.64944°N 2.02556°W / 48.64944; -2.02556