Saint John's-St. Luke's Evangelical ChurchEdit profile
St. John's-St. Luke's Evangelical Church is a congregation of the United Church of Christ located at 2120 Russell Street in Detroit, Michigan. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.History
St. John's - St. Luke's is the oldest German Protestant church in Detroit, founded in 1833 by Rev. Fredrich Schmidt, a missionary from Basel Switzerland. It was the base from which twelve other German Protestant churches in the city were formed.Architecture
The church was originally constructed in 1874, and was designed by architect Julius Hess. The facade features a large tower on one side and a smaller tower on the other, flanking the entranceway. A large lancet window dominates the facade and a gabled vestibule fronts the gabled entrance. The exterior has been extensively altered from its original appearance. The structure of the church is brick, but in 1915 the exterior was completely covered in Formstone, a cast concrete made to resemble limestone.
The interior of the church is High Victorian Gothic in design, painted white and gold with elaborate Gothic woodwork. The lighting system is historically significant, and the church features a Votteler organ.