Saint Andrew's Memorial Episcopal ChurchEdit profile
Saint Andrew's Memorial Episcopal Church is a church located at 5105 Anthony Wayne Dr. in Detroit, Michigan. As of 2008, it is used by Wayne State University and referred to as St. Andrew's Hall; street layout changes have re-indexed the address to 918 Ludington Mall. The church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.History
St. Andrew's parish, founded in 1885, was one of the earliest religious institutions established in what is now the University-Cultural Center section of Detroit. By January 1886, the parish had constructed a church at the corner of fourth and Putnam. In the early 1890s, plans for the present church were drawn up in by the Boston-based architectural firm of Cram, Wentworth & Goodhue. There was some delay in construction, but the church was completed in 1902.
In 1906, the church burned due to an electrical fire; it was repaired six years later, although the reconstruction did not restore the original design and has been criticized as architecturally disfiguring. It served the Episcopalian parish for a number of years until, after World War II, the surrounding population began an exodus to the suburbs. In 1961, the diocese leased the building to Wayne State University for 99 years. The University uses it as a student chapel and a concert hall.Description
St. Andrew's displays the straight, vertical and horizontal lines characteristic of Ralph Adams Cram's work. The exterior is constructed of Bedford limestone, with Berea sandstone trimmings and minimal decorative stonework. Rows of massive columns grace the nave, and an enormous window is inset behind the altar.