Saddlehorn Caretaker's House and GarageEdit profile
The Saddlehorn Caretaker's House and Garage, also known as the Stone House, the Rock House and the Superintendent's Quarters is a house in Colorado National Monument. The National Park Service Rustic house was designed in 1934 by the National Park Service Branch of Plans and Designs and built in several phases by the Works Progress Administration and the Civilian Conservation Corps, using native red sandstone in a coursed ashlar pattern. Plans specified not only the general layout of the house and garage, but the specific dimensions of each stone and its location, using a technique of "built by detail".
The house and the associated properties are located at the intersection of Rim Rock Drive and the Saddle horn Loop, named after a distinctive nearby rock formation. Design was executed by W.G. Carney of the western division of the Branch of Plans and Design. Construction was carried out by craftsmen, known as LEM's (Local Experienced Men), with suitable skills, reputedly stonemasons of Italian descent. Much of the material came from Rim Rock Drive construction.
The three Saddlehorn National Register properties were nominated to the National Register of Historic Places as a multiple property submission on the basis of their related design and history. The residence and garage were the first structures built in the area, by CCC camp NM-2-C. A planned park headquarters adjacent to the house was designed but never built.