Royal Scottish Academy BuildingEdit profile
The Royal Scottish Academy Building, situated in the centre of Edinburgh, was designed by William Henry Playfair during the 19th century. Along with the adjacent National Gallery of Scotland, their neo-classical design helped transform Edinburgh in to a modern day Athens of the North.
The building was erected as a home to the Scottish Academy, which was formed in 1826 by a group of contemporary artists. In 1838 the academy was granted a royal charter and became the Royal Scottish Academy, the national academy of sciences in Scotland.
The building, along with the National Gallery of Scotland was remodelled in 1912 by William Thomas Oldrieve. The statue of Queen Victoria top the building was sculpted by Sir John Steell.
The building is managed by the National Galleries of Scotland but a 1910 Order grants the RSA permanent administration offices in the building. The building was recently refurbished as part of the Playfair Project.
Exhibition space is shared throughout the year by the RSA with the NGS and other exhibiting societies: the Society of Scottish Artists, Visual Arts Scotland and the Royal Society of Watercolourists.
Coordinates: 55°57′6.3″N 3°11′47.0″W / 55.95175°N 3.19639°W / 55.95175; -3.19639