Rowes Wharf
The current incarnation of Rowes Wharf (built 1987) is a modern development in downtown Boston, Massachusetts. It is best known for the Boston Harbor Hotel's multi-story arch over the wide public plaza between Atlantic Avenue and the Boston Harbor waterfront. Along the waterfront can be found a marina, restaurants, a water transportation terminal, and a floating stage offering free concerts and movies during the summer. MBTA boat services link the wharf to Hingham, while water taxis operate to and from Logan International Airport. Cruise boats also operate from the wharf.

History

18th century
The site currently occupied by Rowes Wharf was once occupied by the South Battery, erected by the first settlers in 1630 to protect the fledgling colony from French, Dutch, and Spanish marauders. The South Battery was strengthened over the following years but was obsolete by the middle of the 18th century. In 1764, John Rowe bought the land and built the first Rowes Wharf, which extended a short distance into Boston Harbor. For the next 150 years or so, commercial shipping continued to be a main user of the area.

19th-20th century
With the opening of the Boston, Revere Beach and Lynn Railroad in 1875, a ferry connection was established from Rowes Wharf to the railroad's southern terminus in East Boston. With the construction of the Atlantic Avenue Elevated in 1901, a station at Rowes Wharf connected the wharf to Boston's elevated and subway rail system. However, both the railroad and the elevated railway had closed by the middle of the 20th century and the wharf had become dilapidated, the victim of changing patterns in shipping. This remained the case until the 1980s, when the current development was constructed.