Ross-Ade StadiumEdit profile
Ross–Ade Stadium is a stadium in West Lafayette, Indiana. It is the home of the Purdue University Boilermakers football team.History
The stadium was built to replace Stuart Field, which had been hosting Purdue football since 1892. It is named for David E. Ross and George Ade, the principal benefactors. Ross–Ade Stadium opened on November 22, 1924 with a seating capacity of 13,500 and standing room for an additional 5,000 people. A series of additions and renovations pushed the seating capacity to 70,000. In 2001 Purdue University began a $70 million dollar renovation, which led to a reduced seating capacity of 62,500.Renovations
In the spring of 2000, it was announced that Ross–Ade would undergo a three-phase renovation, beginning the following year. A breakdown of each phase is as follows:Phase I (2001-2003)
- Replace the 50-year-old Woodworth Memorial Press Box, located on the west side of the stadium, with a four-story pavilion, housing the Shively Media Center, 34 luxury suites, and a 200-seat indoor club level
- Add outdoor club seats with exclusive access to the pavilion’s suites
- Expand the main concourse
- Add new bathrooms and concession stands
- Add a new “grand staircase” to the south end of the stadium
- Replace all concrete and benches
- Add an upper deck to the east side of stadium
- Add upper deck to north bend of stadium, connecting east upper deck and Pavilion
While originally thought that both Phases II and III would be solely dependent upon future ticket sales, Athletic Director Morgan Burke indicated in early 2009 that the project may move forward in the near future, regardless of season ticket sales.Additional proposals
There has been a desire expressed by both former head coach Joe Tiller and Burke to remove seating in the south end zone to use the land for alternative purposes. Tiller, and subsequently the school's architectural department, has proposed using the land for football administrative offices and locker rooms. Burke has proposed shaping the land into a landscaped hill, providing lush views of campus scenery.Other renovations
- In 2004, a limestone and brick tunnel was dedicated to the memory of the 17 football players, coaches, alumni, and fans who died in the Purdue Wreck in Indianapolis.
- In June 2006, the Kentucky bluegrass was replaced by Bermuda grass. The Prescription Athletic Turf system is still in use.
- In July 2006, Action Sports Media announced a ten-year partnership with Purdue, helping finance the installation of a new state-of-the-art end zone video board and sideline advertising panel. The new technology was installed in time for the start of the 2007 season.