Robert Aitkan Farm HouseEdit profile
Robert P. Aitken Farm House is an Italianate residence in Flint Township, Michigan. The house has several excellent qualities of the Italianate style. The main portion of the house is two stories tall, with paired eavesline brackets, a hip roof, and a cupola. The cupola has delicate scrollwork brackets in the corners, rounded arch windows, and paired brackets under the eaves. The house has two additions with gable roofs and eyebrow windows, indicating Greek Revival architecture, so there is some speculation that those additions were earlier parts of the structure.
Robert P. Aitken moved to Flint Township, Michigan from New York in 1842. He married Sarah J. Johnstone, also from New York, in 1843. The exact date of construction is not known, but is presumed to be after 1843. Aitken was a successful farmer and later a politician, serving as the supervisor of Flint Township and a representative to the Michigan Legislature. The family had five daughters and five sons. His son David D. Aitken later operated the farm and served in the United States House of Representatives.
The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
OpenBuildings updated a digital referenceabout 6 years ago via Annotator
OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital referenceabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
Kiril Pavlov updatedabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
email@example.com updated a digital referenceabout 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com